I hope you will consider joining me a virtual town hall this Wednesday evening (more information below) to hear about COVID 19 vaccines and the work being done to help Lake County residents recover from this pandemic. I'll be joined by:
- Paul Frank County Board Member and Chair of the Financial & Administrative Committee
- Jonathan McGee, Deputy Director, Regional Economic Development for the Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity
- Carmen Patlan, Executive Director, Highwood Public Library
- Mark Pfister, Executive Director, Lake County Health Department
- Maureen Reidy, President, Lake County Convention & Visitor's Bureau
Many of you have asked about ethylene oxide, given the recent Chicago Tribune article about a USEPA report concluding that the EPA delayed communicating health risks to community residents who live near ethylene oxide-emitting facilities. Board of Health President Tim Sashko and I sent two certified letters to the US Environmental Protection Agency and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry again requesting immediate action on producing the necessary documents so that the Illinois Department of Public Health can conduct a cancer incidence rate study, which cannot be done without these reports. We also requested that if the ATSDR could not produce a health risk assessment in a timely fashion, we would at the very least request a Letter of Health Consultation, as was completed for Willowbrook. We hope that the reports will be released soon, as this information is critical to protect the health of Lake County residents.
As always, it is an honor representing you on the Lake County Board and the Forest Preserve Board. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. The video included here is just a recap of last week's County Board meeting; I hope you find it informative!